X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontoon Boat Takes Water over Front of Boat

I bought a 2004 22' Voyager pontoon boat with a 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke. The boat is very nice howerver in choppy water I tend to take water over the front of the boat. This is my first pontoon boat, in a normal vhull boat I am able to trim the bow up in rough water. I am unable to keep the front of the pontoon up for some reason. It has 2 large u shaped pontoons on it. I pulled the plugs out to see if there was any water in the toons but there didnt seem to be any water in them. Is there any modifications I can do to the motor or the pontoons to keep the front out of the water a little more?

Thanks,
    David Turner

Don't have an answer, but noticed it seems to happen more on toons that the deck is even with front of pontoons. It seems to help keeping most of the weight toward back in rough water.
    Life is an adventure-explore it.

Comment

mine seldom takes water over front. But it has 2 rear fuel tanks 2 rear battrys + most of my gear is rearward. My toons do stick out about ft. in front of deck.
      Have a good`un
      Life is like a roll of toilet paper the closer to the end you get the faster it`s goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_d5cFmFz4k

Comment

2nd time I took my toon out I had 2 guys sitting up front and took on water over the front.......moved them to the back
        and that took care of the problem........
        I think what CT and Heycods said is so true......move all your weight to the back.....
        I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

Comment

I will try moving all weight to the back. I noticed that my pontoons do sit even with the deck. Guess next one i buy i will think about that.
          David Turner

Comment

I was also wondering if a jack plate could be installed on the back to off set the motor so that the weight of the motor is farther back. Would that help at all?

Thanks,
            David Turner

Comment

Can't talk about the jack plate but trimming helps a little. Also time your speed to where your landing on the waves instead of hitting them. Going faster will elevate the front end.

And yet, keep as much weight in the back as possible.
              BASS Fishermen Unite!
              Chairman and Founder of Brotherhood of Bassers (BoB)
              Crappie are nothing more than a "Want-a-be-Bass"

Comment

be careful. the deck is like a dive plane. hit a big wave just right, deck plows in and motor will drive it deeper. cut throttle quick and it will bob back to surface.
                went with a buddy once on his toon. think it would have went to the bottom if the throttle had not been cut quick.

Comment

What everyone else said...Keep most of the weight in the rear and that should solve your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MightyMike View Post
                    be careful. the deck is like a dive plane. hit a big wave just right, deck plows in and motor will drive it deeper. cut throttle quick and it will bob back to surface.
                    went with a buddy once on his toon. think it would have went to the bottom if the throttle had not been cut quick.
                    Yep, it will clean everything off the deck real quick. Be careful running fast into big swells. I swear I heard a loudspeaker blaring "DIVE! DIVE!" as my coolers, minnow buckets, lifejackets, etc. came to back of boat to greet me. Had my bowels trembling for sure.

Comment

Gentleben added an additional pontoom in the middle of the front deck to help keep it up, made himself a tri-toon.

Comment

That is another great idea too to add an additional pontoon. How does his run now with the 3rd pontoon? Also anyone know where i can try and get a pontoon? I am assuming the pontoon would have to match the ones i got.
                        David Turner

Comment

TD it did work on his toon. That toon would submarine more than any toon I've been on. I believe it was not installed correctly. It was only half the length and set higher than outside toons so it just a big weight on the front. It may have worked if it was set slightly lower than outside toons???
                          Life is an adventure-explore it.

Comment

Working...
                          X