Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to weld aluminum (pontoons and more)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to weld aluminum (pontoons and more)

http://www.durafix.com/

This stuff is great for any size hole. Watch the videos and there are even more on U-Tube. And, if you can solder, you can do this. Stronger than the aluminum itself and can be ground to look seamless. Price is right too.
    Bigger is better.

Looks like some great stuff for repairing.Thanks for the info

Comment

Have you used this Randy???
      Waiting nervously!

Comment

Yes, and it is good stuff.
        A friend had some and that is how I found out about it.
        The trickiest thing about using it is remembering to heat the surface, not the rod (just like soldering) or you'll waste it (drip....puddle).
        Once you figure out the heat (distance to hold the torch away from surface to get the best melt/flow temp) it really is easy.
        It's kind of like a combination of welding and soldering. No helmet needed:smile:
        Last edited by randyrandy; 01-18-2010, 11:26 AM. Reason: added last 4 lines
        Bigger is better.

Comment

This is probably the same stuff but is local.
          http://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum_repair.asp

Comment

Piper is in need to repair his toon,i wonder if any of these would work?Its a big gash he has.
            Waiting nervously!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              Piper is in need to repair his toon,i wonder if any of these would work?Its a big gash he has.
              That is why I started the thread.
              I haven't seen it but heard some talking.
              If you need help, let me know.
              Bigger is better.

Comment

Originally posted by randyrandy View Post
                That is why I started the thread.
                I haven't seen it but heard some talking.
                If you need help, let me know.
                I think it needs to be fixed by a trained aluminum welder..Thats my opinion..
                Waiting nervously!

Comment

i have used the stuff and it works great for small jobs but is not cheap enough for big jobs.... something like welding up leaks and rivits in a boat is good and i have used it to fix an alternator casting. i have not used it in a long time now and lost the web page to it thanks for replacing it randy ...it is great for small jobs
                  GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL, LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!!!!!!!!!

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination, there is no better time to be happy than...NOW!
                  - Anonymous

Comment

I've looked into these types of products and from what I gleened from my reading is you can not apply it from the bottom. My crack is beneath the front fin on the end of my tube.
                    BASS Fishermen Unite!
                    Chairman and Founder of Brotherhood of Bassers (BoB)
                    Crappie are nothing more than a "Want-a-be-Bass"

Comment

Originally posted by dpiper View Post
                      I've looked into these types of products and from what I gleened from my reading is you can not apply it from the bottom. My crack is beneath the front fin on the end of my tube.
                      thats why i say it is for small jobs D your right it doesnt work from the bottom you have to be able to place the crack in an upright position and thats not feasible with your toon take it to a good welder versed in heliarc how ever ya spell it
                      GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL, LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!!!!!!!!!

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination, there is no better time to be happy than...NOW!
                      - Anonymous

Comment

Don't know where the crack is dp, but I'd be glad to look at it for you and see if this would work. Upside down probably not, flip the boat
                        Bigger is better.

Comment

Working...
                        X